Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Puppy Chow: Nut Allergy Version

A friend of mine recently introduced me to Sunbutter, a nut allergy friend alternative to peanut butter. This was a welcome addition to our pantry since my husband is not only allergic to peanuts but also tree nuts. I know he won't ever make a Sunbutter and jelly sandwich like I do with peanut butter but it will be great to have around for baking and cooking.
When I first heard about Sunbutter, the first thing that came to my mind was Puppy Chow, Muddy Buddies, etc. Whatever name you know this crunchy chocolate and powder sugar covered snack by, you know that it contains peanut butter. So finally in his 30s, Nick had Puppy Chow for the first time in his life and he loves it. 
Here is the nut-free version of Puppy Chow:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
9 cups rice cereal squares - I used Chex
1/2 cup Sunbutter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
gallon size ziplock bag


Pour powdered sugar into gallon size ziplock bag. In a saucepan (large enough to hold all your cereal) over low heat, melt the chocolate chips. Stir in Sunbutter until smooth. Remove from heat, add cereal and stir until the cereal is coated. Pour cereal into ziplock and shake until well coated. Store in an airtight container.


(Link parties I'm posting this to are found HERE)

2 comments:

  1. Sarah thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment! I am your newest follower! Fun posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by my blog too and following me!

      Delete