Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Scrap Wreath

Does every sewer have a scrap box? Mine is always overflowing and I never know what to do with them. Right after I got rid of a big bag of scraps I saw where someone used it as stuffing for their dog bed, so I started saving again since I've been meaning to make the dogs new beds forever and I really don't want to go buy a bunch of stuffing if I'm just going to throw these tiny scraps away.

I saw a link awhile back for this awesome spring burlap wreath tutorial at the Tatertots and Jello Blog. So fun, right? Today I finally got out and bought a wreath, pulled out my scrap box and started cutting. I made 3 different sized templates from tracing different size cups onto a newspaper ad that was going to be thrown away. I pulled out some denim from a purse that I started to make and ended up in my UFO pile and found some matching ribbon in my stash from several years ago.

I wrapped the wreath with denim and and held it in place with the sewing pins that were too bent and dull for sewing and were just going to be thrown away.

I cut 25 of each of the 3 sizes of circles, random combination of fabrics, plus about 20 more denim circles out of the middle size.

The tiny pieces that were too small to cut another circle out of went back in the dog bed stuffing pile:

And after pushing all of the circles into the wreath with more sewing pins... ta-da!! The finish product!

No comments:

Post a Comment