Friday, December 11, 2009

Nut Free Granola

I LOVE nuts, there is no doubt about it. Black walnuts and peanuts are probably my favorite, but I married a man who is allergic to every type of nut. In the past 6 years since we've been married I have mostly written off old family recipes that included nuts since my husband couldn't eat them, until this year. I have been hungry for granola. I remember making yummy nut filled granola with my mom as a child. I mentioned this to my husband and he said he would be willing to try some if I left the nuts out. In my awe and amazement, he loved my first try!

There are some things I want to tweak and try different recipes as well, but this was my first try, based on this recipe from food network's Alton Brown. It ended up a little sticky and the sunflower seeds are a little over toasted since they were dry roasted to start with it was a good first try!

These were the ingredients I used instead of the ones listed on the recipe.
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

No comments:

Post a Comment